Since our meeting place is out for this week, I thought I would give all of you some food for thought ...
1. The County Council has over collected $20 million dollars over the year and still owes it to the taxpayers of this county.
2. The School Board has over collected by $40 million and has made no move to repay.
3. Reassessment has netted the County and the School Board a whopping 523% increase since 1985. At this time, that amounts to $62.5 million every year in additional taxes - most of which is associated with reassessment over collecting. Both were limited to 1% for a while and that law was changed to 0.
4. The school board put in a $500-600 million building program (with interest) without a vote of the people; violating the 8% of appraised value of taxable property constitutional rule. In setting up the dummy corporation, which is the engine for the plan, they changed from bonded indebtedness to an operational expense which is the responsibility of the State; due to the sales tax swap. Yet, when they could have gotten the taxpayers a refund, they were not interested and keep on illegally collecting 40 mills.
5. The County and the School Board are believed to be installing sewer and water lines without a vote of the people as required by the constitution.
6. There are no qualified elected representatives on the dummy corporation board resulting in taxation without representation.
I could go on and on, but if this isn't government out of control ... please tell me what is!
Have a nice July,
President, Conservatives Of The Upstate