During the October Conservatives Of The Upstate meeting we held a "Town Hall Style Meeting" with Shane Massey. He spoke for close to an hour and a half.
Here's some information about Shane Massey:
• He is currently the SC State Senator representing Aiken, Edgefield, McCormick, and Saluda Counties. He was the first Republican to win his district Senate seat.
• He is running for (Federal) Congressional House of Representatives Seat / 3rd Congressional District (which is this area) He identifies himself as Republican.
• He ran for the State Senate on a promise to “shake up Columbia." He helped lead the fight for “on the record” voting rules change, and sponsored and passed earmark reform legislation in the Senate.
• He has campaigned for a plan to open Carolina coastal waters to an environmentally safe method for offshore exploration and acquisition of natural gas.
• He is a graduate of Clemson University and the University of South Carolina School of Law.
• He is an active member of Providence Baptist Church stating that he has taught several Sunday School classes and currently serve as Chairman of Deacons.
• Shane says, "I fundamentally believe that Washington is broken. Congressional liberals, with plans for outrageous spending and government control of private business, are pushing our nation toward a form of European socialism."
One question asked of him ...
"Pickens County received a significant chunk of stimulus money for Medicaid ...part of this money was used to expand the medicaid offices in Pickens. When the state doesn't receive this money next year AND the stimulus money has to be paid back ... what will our state do?" The audience member continued ... "I can give you a partial solution. My wife works in social services. A significant portion of those that apply in her office are illegal immigrants with children born in this country. The children receive benefits. There is also a significant state investment in Spanish/English translators called "Habla". If this problem were rectified along with commerce amongst illegals taxed and licensed properly ... our state (and nation) could save a HUGE amount of money."
Shane Massey: "It's also a national security issue. I agree with your issue." He elaborated on illegal immigration and stimulus funds.
We encourage everyone to take a look at Shane's website: